Explore our neighborhoods and admire not only the beautiful gardens but also the wide ranging arrays of flowers and plants and the seasonal displays of what’s in bloom or at peak! After viewing the many private gardens, you can visit several spectacular public spaces, including:
West end of North St./812-682-3050 This outdoor site offers an opportunity to walk and meditate on an ancient single path labyrinth. Open 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. The pattern of this labyrinth duplicates the original at Chartres Cathedral, built in the 12th century near Paris. The, Medieval Gothic Cathedrals across Europe often had labyrinths built into their floors. Their geometric pattern related to the unity of each cathedral's design.
The rose in the middle of this labyrinth identifies its Chartres origin. Labyrinth designs have been used by humankind for over 4000 years in many cultural traditions, including SW Native Americans. At the south end of town is a hedgerow maze, built in 1939, honoring the Harmonists who built a similar one near this site in the early 1800's. This early preservation project was built by the New Harmony Memorial Commission through the generosity of Mrs. Edmund Ball.
The Harmonists lived here from 1813-1825; their manuscripts suggest their original labyrinth was a true labyrinth and was used as a place to renew and relax after a hard days work. A maze offers choices as a puzzle does, while a labyrinth is a unicursal maze with one way in and the same path out. New Harmony once again links with history and the future. This Sacred Garden was completed as the new millennium began with the hope that many people will walk this ancient path well into the 21st century. The Cathedral Labyrinth and Sacred Garden is located on North Street, near the Wabash River and the Atheneum, the visitor's center for Historic New Harmony.
Located on New Harmony’s South Main Street, the Harmonist Labyrinth was originally built around 1815.
The present maze was reconstructed between the years of 1939 and 1941 on a site adjacent to the original Labyrinth. The hedges were planted according to a pattern established by the Harmony Society: a concentric circular design with only one path. A small stone building called a grotto is placed at the centre, an authentic restoration of The Harmonist grotto.
The late Mrs. Edmund Ball of Muncie provided the funds for its reconstruction, and it is currently maintained by Historic New Harmony and The University of Southern Indiana.
It is open admission-free year round.
The memorial garden was dedicated in 1982 to the memory of Carol Owen Coleman 1944-1979, daughter of Kenneth and Jane Blaffer Owen. The Fountain of Life is located in the center of Carol's Garden beneath a stunning canopy of Bradford pear trees. The peaceful fountain and its two accompanying benches were made with Indiana limestone by Sculptor David Rogers of Bloomington, Indiana.
The designer of this beautiful garden is Jane Blaffer Owen. You'll never feel more at peace than in this shady garden. The fragrant hostas and sound of water are enchanting to the senses. It is the perfect place to relax and soak up the beauty of nature.
Located just behind the Red Geranium Restaurant, this peaceful pine grove was named for renowned Protestant theologian and philosopher, Paul Johannes Tillich. He was in attendance the day it was dedicated - June 2, 1963.
Born August 20, 1886 in Starzeddel, Brandenburg, Tillich died on October 22, 1965 in Chicago. His ashes were interred in Tillich Park. A stone marked with Tillich's birth and death dates indicates his burial place.
Along the paths of Tillich Park are several large granite stones engraved with quotations from Tillich's writings, carved by letterer Ralph Beyer. At the north end of the pathway is a bronze bust of Tillich by sculptor James Rosati. It was placed in Tillich Park by the Robert Lee Blaffer Trust in 1967.
Built on the original site of the two Harmonist churches, Church Park is a peaceful location in the center of the town. A fountain by noted sculptor Don Gummer sits in the middle of the formal gardens and the park is entered through a re-creation of the Door of Promise, which welcomed Harmonists to their large brick church.